Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A Small Prelude of Sorts: Drafts and Freedom, Little Bloodsucking Bed Bugs and Mainstream Stuffs, And Other Unnecessary Formalities

Finally, after so many attempts to start a blog. Here it is. Alas, I cannot begin to discern how glad or worried I am with this. Well, for one reason, this is the xth draft of an introductory post, which for some reason screams that this is important. Maybe it is, or not, never been too sure. The issue: Took me a damn long time to write this thing and done nothing with it but revise - revise - revise. I suppose as an individual who aspires to become an author and a better writer, this is a good thing - my slow, constipated, otherworldly writing time could use a good kick in the ass. Worried, if I'll ever remain committed to this, so, we shall see, and hope.

I'm not really good with these things - introductions and stuff - but allow me to try...

In my large girth of shame, I believe I've been oppressed by laziness, which I find is the sole reason why I couldn't get anything done. So, let this blog be my declaration of freedom from my self and set my ass to full throttle and actually get some real, decent, and tangible shit done. Hurrah! 


Now, what really triggered me to start a blog was right after finishing a certain book - which my next post will be all about. The thing about this book, I found it to be a deep enriching experience for my soul. No, it is not a fucking self-help book. Rather, the story and its characters were enticing and right off the edge diabolical, intense, gritty, and positively painful to read - because you knew what was going to happen and you can't do shit about it and you'll suffer the same pain the characters will have to undergo - and in some ways, somehow, for some readers, it is possible for them to feel terrified or relate to this certain situation.


But enough about the book. I'll cover that later. My point is - I love the book so much, I wish to tell everyone I knew about it and hope they get to have the same experience as I had. Unfortunately, not many were interested, and all I got were a couple of shrugs and "Sure, I'll give it a try if I happen to see it".


This scenario was very nauseating, and I had to choke back the bile from my throat - only to vomit a hell lot of shit later when I got back home - sorry, that was an exaggeration. But here's the thing why it made me sick. Around 2006, was my first owned book, the infancy of my reading habit back then urged me to only get whatever's the best of the best that no other shit can top it (Yeah, I was a prick of a reader then). So, that book was none other than George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones


To cut a long story short. I loved the book, told my friends about it, none recognized the title or the author and asked if it's anything like Ben Santos, N.V.M. Gonzales, F. Sionil Jose (Filipino Literature authors), I said, "No, this guy's an American." Some were dismayed, although they loved Harry Potter, the odd contradiction of their reactions were stupid, senseless, hypocritical acts of patriotism. While others asked if the the series was anything like Edgar Allan Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, or Bram Stoker. I said, "No, this is more like Tolkien meets Puzo", some were amused or seemed amused, shrugged, and only about two actually read it.

It wasn't really my business to coerce someone into reading something they weren't interested in. But when HBO gave the go and the series boomed into an instant success. Everyone I knew had their own copies of A Game of Thrones with the Sean Bean covers. That's what made me sick. No, not the Sean Bean covers, but the thought of people only liking a book after seeing it go mainstream in other forms of media. It's all good advertising actually, for both sides of the party. But it somewhat bugs me that people assume something sucks without even trying it, then they see the movie/series version and think it's the greatest thing that has ever walked the face of the Earth.

Whew! Now that's out of my chest. I can stay focus on writing things - I'll mainly focus on books and maybe, slowly promote my own work in progress. Maybe some films, graphic novels, video games, and other things that come to my mind, mostly in the genres between horror and fantasy. I'll try my best to keep up with the books, since it's freakishly hard to get the very latest books released in the market, and hey, whatever, I'm quite eager to toss some opinions of my own out into the open.

Thanks for reading this post even if it is nothing but senseless banter of myself. So, enough with this crap, and let's get it on. Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment